Please enable Java in your browser.

Early Pharmacy

Early Pharmacy

The original two-storied building owned by Ernest Healey, was destroyed by the great fire of June 2nd, 1912.
The new shop was one of a group designed by C T Natusch and built by Tom Rimmer. This shop has always been a pharmacy. As well as the usual chemist's sundries, there were darkroom and eye-testing facilities.

Ernest Healey owned these premises until 1952 and leased them to H E Garbutt, Isreal Corn,and Thomas Crotty over a period of 20 years.
in 1952 the shop was purchased by chemist W. Stuart Donnely who was Mayor of Foxton from 1972 until shortly before his death in 1978. The present owner, John Paltridge, took over in 1978

The upper facade is virtually the only untouched part of the building. In 1961 the recessed entrance was rebuilt to extend to the pavement.

 

Artist: Michael Barclay

Sponsor: J Paltridge Pharmacy & Benjamin Moore Paints

Site: North side alley wall, Gimblett's Pharmacy

Back to Murals

Top

 


Sponsored by the
Horowhenua District Council in association with the Foxton Murals Committee.

Site by Webdzine

Copyright Foxton Murals & Horowhenua District Council

[XHTML 1.0] [CSS]