Please enable Java in your browser.

Whyte's Hotel Fire

Whyte's Hotel Fire

Whyte's Hotel opened for business on 1st December 1876. It survived the fires of 1894 and 1912, it being the only building left standing between the Presbyterian and Anglican Churches in the 1912 fire.
On 31st August 1918, the heart totara building was totally destroyed by fire in about one hour.

The adjoining Moutoa Buildings, built of brick, were beleived safe but the collapse of a hotel chimney through its roof, allowed the fire to penetrate and destroy the whole complex including the shops below and the billiard rooms. The present Moutoa Buildings were built following the fire.

Artists: Des Comyn, Michael Barclay, Mike Jull & John de Vries

Sponsors: Foxton Rotary Club, Eric Marchant and Benjamin Moore Paints

Site: Whyte Street near Main Street

Back to Murals

Top

 


Sponsored by the
Horowhenua District Council in association with the Foxton Murals Committee.

Site by Webdzine

Copyright Foxton Murals & Horowhenua District Council

[XHTML 1.0] [CSS]