Please enable Java in your browser.

Ferry crossing the Manawatu River

 New Ferry crossing the Manawatu River

Original Ferry crossing the Manawatu River

Amos Burr was probably the first European ferry operator at the Manawatu River mouth where there was an accommodation house on the northern bank. In 1854 the Wellington Provincial Government subsidised this ferry. Licensees were Henry Symons, House, Trask, Barnett and then Langley.

Soon after the coach service started the overnight stay was changed to Foxton. The coach came inland and the ferry was near the present Seaview Gardens.
Operators were Cook, Burr and Hillary (who was presented with a silver watch and gold key for good service). When the Manawatu Railway made the coaches redundant, the ferry was moved to Whirikino until a bridge was built there in 1900.

The top mural has replaced the original (lower) one.

Artists: Des Comyn (top mural); Michael Barclay (Original lower mural)

Sponsor: Creative New Zealand

Site: The Station Information Centre

Back to Murals

Top

 


Sponsored by the
Horowhenua District Council in association with the Foxton Murals Committee.

Site by Webdzine

Copyright Foxton Murals & Horowhenua District Council

[XHTML 1.0] [CSS]